Licensed • Insured • Insurance Claims Guidance


Common FAQs

There are many misconceptions and false information regarding mold, mold removal, and health hazards related to the presence of mold. Power Pro Remediation’s principal has dealt with mold, water damage and home construction for over 20 years, allowing us to educate and help clear up confusion surrounding everything to do with mold, water damage and construction. Please continue reading below for helpful information and give us a call with any questions or concerns.

The type and severity of health effects that result from molds exposure is widely variable among different locations, from person to person and over time. Although difficult to predict, exposure to molds growing indoors is most often associated with the following allergy symptoms:
  • Nasal and sinus congestion
  • Cough/sore throat
  • Chest tightness
  • Dyspnea (breathing difficulty)
  • Asthma (or exacerbation of it)
  • Epistaxis (nosebleed)
  • Upper respiratory tract infections
  • Headache
  • Skin and eye irritation
Long-term exposure to indoor molds is certainly unhealthy to anyone, but some groups will develop more severe symptoms sooner than others, including:
  • Infants and children
  • Elderly people
  • Individuals with respiratory conditions, allergies and/or asthma
  • Immunocompromised patients
Some indoor molds are capable of producing extremely potent toxins (mycotoxins) that are lipid-soluble and readily absorbed by the intestinal lining, airways, and skin. These agents, usually contained in the fungal spores, have toxic effects ranging from short-term irritation to immunosuppression and cancer. More severe symptoms that could result from continuous human exposure to indoor mycotoxigenic molds include:
  • Cancer (aflatoxin best characterized as potential human carcinogen)
  • Hypersensitivity pneumonitis/pulmonary fibrosis
  • Pulmonary injury/hemosiderosis (bleeding)
  • Neurotoxicity
  • Hematologic and immunologic disorders
  • Hepatic, endocrine and/or renal toxicities
  • Pregnancy, gastrointestinal and/or cardiac conditions
Source: University of Minnesota, Environmental Health and Sciences
  • The active ingredient in bleach does not penetrate porous surfaces. So you wind up adding to the molds moisture source allowing the hyphae (mold roots) to grow more
  • Bleach is very good at removing color from mold, giving you a false sense of successful mold removal
  • Bleach is very corrosive to materials and hazardous to your health
  • OSHA and the EPA recommend bleach NOT be used for mold remediation
  • There are many alternative anti-microbial solution options readily available that do a better job and are less harmful.

1st part True, 2nd part not really. It is true that mold is everywhere, all the time. There are over 200,000 species of mold currently identified. Mold is nature’s cleanup crew and without it we’d live in a garbage dump. Mold spores enter and exit your home via doors and windows, ventilation ducts, etc., they also enter and exit by catching a ride on you, your clothes and even your family pet as you come and go. If it has a surface or if it allows air flow mold will use it as transport. All said, not to fear. Mold is opportunistic and will only attach itself and grow where a trifecta of Food Source, Heat and Moisture exist. Moisture is key since almost anything is a food source and heat is a constant, we live under the sun. Now don’t think heat means hot. Ex. Water freezes at 32 degrees F and yet mold can be found in freezers. 32 degrees is still heat, it is just less heat than an 80 degree Louisiana day. Although mold can grow in a very cold environment, generally speaking it will be more prevalent in a warmer environment.

  • Keep humidity levels below 60%
  • Perform routine maintenance to prevent any source of water leak or water infiltration
  • Repair leaks or water infiltration issues as quickly as possible
  • Utilize ventilation ducted to outside in bathrooms, kitchens and anywhere else higher levels of humidity may be created.
  • Be aware of condensation

Condensation can occur in low humidity conditions and with no water source. Condensation can cause mold growth by being the water source. Condensation is cause by available moisture in the air “humidity” and temperature differences. An example of condensation would be when a cold drink in a non-insulated cup “sweats” or collects and drip water down the sides of it. If condensation occurs in your home you could potentially have the moisture source needed for mold growth. A cup sweating alone will not cause mold growth in your home.

Mold is less harmful when undisturbed. When mold is disturbed it goes everywhere, it is ultra-light and microscopic. If disturbed without proper safeguards in place you put your health at risk along with the risk of causing unintended cross contamination making the situation worse. Mold Removal requires specialized equipment and knowledge to safely and effectively remediate it. Practicing proper procedures is necessary to protect worker’s health, occupant’s health and the structure’s health. If you decide to tackle and perform your own mold remediation project, be sure to fully educate yourself on the subject and be sure you are practicing proper procedure to protect the health of yourself, your occupants and your property. If you find yourself in need of mold remediation or if you become overwhelmed because that spot on the wall was only “the tip of the iceberg”, please give us a call to help out.

FAQ | Health Hazards of Mold | Condensation and Mold | Madisonville LA